Monday, April 23, 2012

Directions and Intentions

I can't believe I am almost at my 100th post! I didn't know when I started blogging in December how much I would like it.  If you read to my right, I started blogging to:
  1. inspire me to quilt on a more continuous basis - mission accomplished, I have been going almost nonstop.
  2. reach out to other Newbie Quilters - success at this is questionable
  3. make more quilting friends - the blogger community is great.
I paused to reflect this last week on if I was really reaching my goals with this blog, and I came to the conclusion that I am, but I can do better too.  I also realized that since I started blogging, some of my other "mom-duties" have suffered.  For example, my family only enjoys a REAL home-cooked meal about once a week, whereas it used to be about four times a week in the days before blogging.  Don't even get me started on the status of the housework or how often I wash my hair.  I truly have been spending every "free" moment sneaking down to the garage to sew or do other sewing related tasks.  Point is, I need to find some balance.  Enter, more structure.

This blog needs some structure, and in the process, I need to find a way to incorporate more beginner friendly material and find that balance with my other activities.  First, I am only going to post a few times a week.   Yes, there might be more here and there if I really have something to say, but in reality my weekly sewing schedule goes something like this:  Monday - clean up from the weekend, do laundry, maybe sew a little between loads.  Tuesday - sew in the morning, afternoon activities with the kids start early.   By Wednesday, I at least have something in progress.  Thursday - no sewing since I volunteer at the elementary school.  Friday is a scramble to get whatever I am working on to a stopping point because there is no sewing at all on the weekends.  So, it only seems natural that my posting schedule would try to follow this routine too.

Tuesdays, I plan to post something for beginners.  It might be a Lessons Learned feature, a product or book review, or just some simple advice.  I'm going to call it Trial and Error Tuesdays.

Wednesdays, I plan to post about my works in progress.  Freshly Pieced already has a WIP Wednesday feature that I am going to link up with.

And finally, on Friday's I hope to be able to show you some finished projects.  This will also be the day that I will post about any art projects with the kids since I doubt I will have a finished project every Friday.

Are there any other changes you would like to see?

1 comment:

  1. I found your blog a few weeks ago and added it to my RSS feed. I'm a newbie, a "real" quilter would be horrifed at my quilts, but i continue to learn with each project. Love your blog! Thank you!
    boppiesgirl@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

I had to shut off comments for a long time because I was just getting spammed. I'm going to try moderation for a while and see if that helps. Please leave me a comment.