Sunday, August 12, 2012

Inspiration Sunday (3) - via the International Quilt Festival in Long Beach

One of the things that always catches my eye as I walk around the exhibits at a quilt show, is the diversity of borders.  Some of the borders that caught my eye this time:

The "Galactic Daiquiri" by Cherie Gooler of Santa Rosa, California.  It is machine pieced, hand appliqued, and machine quilted.


I can only assume that she hand appliqued the border, just look how gorgeous it is!



I love how the quilting design in the lighter area goes perfectly with the design of the red fabric in the next area of the border.

This next one isn't so much a border as an edge, but it is really cool!  I can only imagine how long it must have taken to finish it.  "Barcelona Crow's Nest" by Pat Delaney of Abington, Massachusetts.



Just look at those loops!  If you are interested in learning how to do this type of edge, try to get your hands on the January/February issue of Machine Quilting Unlimited magazine.  There is a tutorial by Sharon Schamber on how to do a very similar loopy edge.

I also really enjoyed the light colors of this quilt - I think it is called "quiet quilting".  And just look at all the different free motion motifs in those blocks; this quilt was just amazing.

What treats will I have for you next Sunday?

Jen

1 comment:

I had to shut off comments for a long time because I was just getting spammed. I'm going to try moderation for a while and see if that helps. Please leave me a comment.