Sunday, September 23, 2012

Inspirational Sunday (9) - via the International Quilt Festival in Long Beach

Today's post includes a bunch of landscape quilts.  I am always fascinated by landscape quilts and would really like to try one one day.  You know, when all my other WIP's are finished up!  HA!

This first one probably could have been part of last Sunday's post with modern quilts.  It is called, "Road to Home" by Sheryl Sleboda of Plainfield, Illinois.  She hand appliqued, machine quilted, and hand beaded this beauty.


Another landscape with a modern vibe is "Lovely Day" by Linda Evans of Murrieta, California.  It is machine pieced and appliqued.


I just love those wispy clouds!

Here is a more "traditional" looking landscape called "Beside the Still Waters" by Pat Durbin of Eureka, California.  It is pieced, threadpainted, painted, and machine quilted.  It is inspired by a place called Stone Lagoon.


I really love the clouds close to the horizon, and if you look closely, you can see all the different fabrics that went into the grassy area in the foreground.  Amazing.

I love sunsets.  Every time we go to Hawaii, I end up filling my camera's memory card with pictures of the sunset.  These two quilts are called, "Day and Night" by Grace Errea of Laguna Niguel, California.  Well, actually, one is called, "Creamsicle Dawn" and the other "Popsicle Sunset", together they are "Day and Night".  They are machine appliqued and needleturned appliqued.



I noticed that several of the landscape quilts I took pictures of were made by quilters in California.  Is it because I was drawn to the quilts that looked familiar or is it because California is just so picturesque that one can't help but make a quilt out of the beauty you see?

What do you think?

Jen

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jen,

    I linked to your blog from Barbara Brackman's blog.I'm a newbie too. Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love landscape quilts, some feel as if you can walk right in. I made one a few years ago, but had spend the previous few years collecting exactly the right fabrics. it was the very first one I blogged about!

    ReplyDelete

I had to shut off comments for a long time because I was just getting spammed. I'm going to try moderation for a while and see if that helps. Please leave me a comment.