Sunday, October 14, 2012

Modern Patchwork book review - Inspirational Sunday

Welcome back to Inspirational Sunday.  Today I continue with my book review mini-series by looking at Elizabeth Hartman's second book, Modern Patchwork.



Modern Patchwork builds off of the basics discussed in her first book, Practical Guide to Patchwork, which I reviewed last Sunday here.

Why do I like this book?
  • It is just as well written as her first book and has just as lovely photos
  • I just love the projects in this book!  Unlike, Practical Guide to Patchwork, which has 2 projects I am interesting in trying, in THIS book I want to make at least 7 of the 12 patterns presented!
  • Each project has 2 fabric alternatives, which really give you a sense for what each pattern is capable of becoming in your hands
  • The skills built in this book include more complex piecing and quilting patterns, semi-improvisational piecing, angled cuts, machine applique, loops and curved piecing.
  • Again, she includes instructions for striking quilt backs, which I find lovely!
New things I learned:
  • How to build a design wall
  • How to make a pressing board (if I wanted to)
  • When choosing fabrics, especially coordinating solids, sometimes it is more interesting to have a slightly different color instead of an exact match.
  • More organizational tips!
  • tips for dealing with skinny sashing
Do I recommend it?  
  • Yes!  If you like modern quilting, I bet you will enjoy this book very much.  Her patterns are amazing and she encourages you to try new things.  The patterns in this book are definitely a bit more challenging than her first book, but not so difficult that an intermediate beginner would have trouble.
The project I can't wait to try?
  • Owl Eyes!  I just love the look of this quilt.  I admit I am a little intimidated by the amount of applique, but it is a striking quilt!
Elizabeth also has a blog of her own, Oh Fransson!, with lots of patterns and tips.  She is currently revisiting some of the projects in her two books, trying to make them a little differently.  Several of her latest attempts were from Modern Patchwork.

Elizabeth is also teaching a FREE online class on Craftsy called "Creative Quilt Backs".  I took the class and highly recommend it!  She has great tips for piecing together your backs (some of which could be used for other parts of your quilts), and for sandwiching your quilts together.  Did I mention that it is FREE?  And that I recommend it?  I do!  If you haven't taken a class at Craftsy, let this one be the first.  The class is broken up into several videos, so you don't have to watch the whole class at once.  You can even pause and resume a section if you are like me and half way through a video you realize it is time to go to bed.

Have you tried out any of the projects in Modern Patchwork?  How did it go?

I hope you will join me next Sunday when I review another book in my collection.  Now, which one will it be??

Thank you for reading!

Jen

4 comments:

  1. I have Elizabeth's first book, but not this one. Sounds like I ought to be adding it to my Christmas wish list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have both of Elizabeth's books and I love them. Haven't done any of the projects in the books yet though. The projects in the current book are all gorgeous!!!
    I'd probably make the Rapid City as the first project from the book. The Owl Eyes is absolutely stunning, Jen - can't wait to see yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've just signed up for the free class and now I'm off to enjoy it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the review, and especially thanks for the amazon link, that's a great time saver :-)

    ReplyDelete

I had to shut off comments for a long time because I was just getting spammed. I'm going to try moderation for a while and see if that helps. Please leave me a comment.