Monday, April 29, 2013

Bee's Helping Bee's - Building Blocks Tuesday

Today in addition to showing you a couple blocks I made this weekend, I want to tell you about a new group I joined called "Bee's Helping Bee's".

mrs pickles garden

The premise is simple - sometimes bees we join online don't always work out like we expected and sometimes you don't receive all the blocks you were hoping for.  If this has happened to you, this is the group for you.  You can read more about it at Mrs. Pickles Garden here, and check out the Flickr group here.  This group just got started, so you can get in easily.  If you ask for blocks though, you need to reciprocate by making someone else's requested blocks to fulfill their need.  Pretty easy.

Mrs. Pickles (Hayley) needed some more Classic Paintbox Blocks (tutorial here) when she came up short in a bee.  I made her one set of these little blocks and rather enjoyed it!  I might end up picking this block when one of my months come up in a bee.  The overall effect is super cool.

Here are my pink versions

Bee's Helping Bees blocks for Hayley

I hope you like them Hayley!

In other news, I finally got around to creating a design wall for myself.

design wall


As Earth Day was just last week, I went the recycle/reuse way.  I used a leftover scrap of cotton batting and a large canvas painting of the alphabet that used to hang in the girls' room.  The painting was a bit too bright and they have somewhat outgrown the idea of having the alphabet hanging on the wall.  I may want to keep it or sell it later though, so I didn't want to damage it.  I simply stapled the batting in place onto the backside of the canvas frame in a few places.  Not quite "polished looking" but it does the job beautifully.  I won't be able to put a queen sized quilt on it, but for arranging a few blocks and choosing color schemes, I imagine it will do the trick.

So what have you been working on this week?

Link up your fabulous blocks.  You put a lot of hard work into them - show them off!  This free linky will stay open for a whole week.  And spread the word!


Quilter in the Closet

Rules:

1) Please link up only to the page in your blog showing your wonderful blocks, not just the blog homepage.  Flickr pictures are also OK.
2) Make sure to put your blog name as the description so people know where they are going or the name of your block!
3) Please grab my button and post it in your blog post or sidebar.
4) Visit other linky participants!


Thanks for reading!

Jen





5 comments:

  1. Yay! Great blocks Thank you very much!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea of Hayley's, inspired by your kindness! The design wall is a fab idea, I just don't seem to have wall space!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea for a bee! And what a clever way to make a design wall (for free!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the idea of the Bee, I finally got the missing blocks from the first round of the Sunday Morning Quilts bee but only after a fair bit of nagging/reminding :) Now if there was only something similar for swaps!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a brilliant idea as a Bee-Saver!! Love it. Also those pink in pink squares are adorable.

    ReplyDelete

I had to shut off comments for a long time because I was just getting spammed. I'm going to try moderation for a while and see if that helps. Please leave me a comment.